Tuesday, February 16, 2010 | |

Not funny, Kevin!


Ok, so maybe it was a little funny. Just yesterday, we were out celebrating Chinese New Year with a couple of new friends, Mark and Ernest. We'd been talking recently about outrageous foods Chinese eat, including intestines, snake, pork blood and monkey brains! The thinking in the East is that if you want to nourish a given body part, you eat that part of an animal. Or in the case of monkey brains, one would eat brains to become more intelligent. Fast forward to lunch. We were eating a traditional Chinese lunch at which we were constantly having to ask what was in front of us. A large pot was placed at the table, and I was told it was monkey brains. I asked around to see if my native friends, Mark and Ernest were going to eat it. In other words was it "OK?" I then decided I would try it! I got my chopsticks ready, Kev hit record, and there I went! I was so proud of myself . . . Until I found out it was all a joke! Man, I really thought I'd gone out on a limb and tried something new. Indeed I did. It turned out to be a sea cucumber-see the photo (still pretty disgusting, according to American taste buds). Anyway, I am determined to get Kev back somehow. Below is the video of me "eating monkey brains" . . . or so I thought!

1 comments:

Jade & Gingerella said...

It is really fun to read about your adventures! My brother (Joel) and his wife took off to Taiwan just after they got married. They taught english and learned Mandarin. I guess they spent about 3 years there. They came home just after their first daughter was born. They had a wonderful time! As I'm sure y'all will!

Have fun, be safe, update often!

Ginger Warren (Jade Warren's wife!)